Today is bleak and rainy in my neck of the woods. The local forecasters are warning that we may get our first snowfall of the season today or tomorrow. Blerg! But that’s outside. Inside, it’s all sunshine.
The lovely Lisa over at Amateur Nester has nominated me for a Sunshine Award!
I really enjoy your candidness and I appreciate how you always try to infuse your posts with humor. Anyone who tries to bring some smiles to those of us facing infertility is outstanding in my book!
Thank you, Lisa! That totally made my day! I love things like this, as I’m an avid list maker, and I love filling out survey-type forms and such.
The “rules” of accepting the Sunshine Award are as follows:
- Include the Sunshine Award icon in your post (check!)
- Link to the blogger who nominated you (check!)
- Answer 10 questions about yourself (check!)
- Nominate 10 other bloggers to receive the award and invent 10 questions for them to answer (check!)
- Link to your nominees and let them know about the nomination (check!)
My questions from Lisa
- Why do you blog? It started out as an avenue of expressing all the vile, bitter thoughts that my miscarriage and subsequent infertility have spawned. I couldn’t say a lot of these things to anyone in real life, without seriously damaging relationships, and I couldn’t keep them in without actually turning into a vile and bitter person. In other words, blogging was to be my therapy.
- Cook at home or go out to eat? Mostly cook at home, but we go out or order in a few times a month. Both M and I enjoy cooking.
- What are you most proud of? My career and community involvement. I was lucky to find my niche in the nonprofit world, but I’ve worked hard to educate myself and earn professional-level certification in my field. Other nonprofit leaders come to me for advice and help, and that feels awesome!
- What’s one thing you wish you could change about yourself? I wish I enjoyed socializing more. Even before this crapfest of infertility exploded in my face, I enjoyed being by myself most of the time. Spending time with others is draining for me, and I wish it wasn’t. I wish I was the type of person to be energized by a night out with friends or a conference with colleagues.
- Are you an early riser or a night owl? Neither, really, but more of an early riser.
- Favorite book of all time? All time? That’s tough. I love to read and I’ve read a ton of great books, but I can’t say that I have a favorite. Two books that heavily influenced my decision to donate my body to medical science after I die are Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers and The American Way of Death Revisited. I guess that’s a strange yardstick by which to judge a book, but my favorites tend to be ones that have a lasting influence (like Behind the Attic Wall, a spooky children’s book that turned me on to paranormal/scary type books like those of Stephen King) and those that make me see the world differently (like The Quantum Self).
- What’s one thing you want to learn how to do? Knit socks. I can knit rectangular things and round things, but socks elude me. I even took a class once, but I couldn’t get the whole heel thing. For some reason, the instructions just don’t make sense to me, and that drives me crazy.
- Do you have any hidden talents? Nope. The few talents I have I share.
- What inspires you? Feeling connected to someone or some place.
- Ruffles, Lays, or Pringles? BBQ Lays. I hate plain potato chips, but BBQ ones are like crack. I can’t get enough, even though I usually feel like crap after I devour them.
My nominees and questions
If you’ve been nominated before (or if you’re just not into it), don’t feel like you have to participate. I simply want you and everyone to know how much I appreciate and enjoy your blog. And, if you’re not on this list, but you want to answer the questions, go ahead and nominate yourself. I won’t tell.
- What odd routines or rituals do you have?
- What’s your favorite Halloween costume that you’ve worn?
- What do you think of people who eat soup on a sweltering hot day?
- Favorite song to sing at the top of your lungs?
- Have you ever stolen anything?
- Be honest – Have you read 50 Shades of Grey?
- What’s something that made you laugh so hard you peed (or nearly peed) your pants?
- What book(s) are you reading right now?
- How do you pronounce “aunt”? (ahnt or ant?)