I know it’s not a real award, but it gives me the warm fuzzies to be nominated for a Liebster by Childless in Paris. She says it’s to keep my mind off of monitoring and such. We’ll see if it works! At the very least, it should be fun.
The Liebster award is given to an up and coming blogger who has less than 200 followers. It’s a great way to learn about new blogs and the bloggers who blog them. (And to procrastinate your entire to-do list.)
1. Post 11 random things about yourself.
2. Answer the questions that the nominator sets for you.
3. Create 11 questions for the people you nominate.
4. Nominate blogs that you love (also with fewer than 200 followers) & link them to your post and let them know they have been nominated.
11 Random Things About Me
1. I hate pepperoni.
2. I can’t sleep in clean sheets. I need my smell to be on them in order to relax enough to fall asleep.
3. I can’t sleep without ear plugs and an eye mask. With them, I can sleep through just about anything.
4. No one I know in real life knows about this blog.
5. I do not tolerate the heat very well. In fact, I pretty much burst into flames after 10 minutes in the summer sun.
6. I’ve submitted at least a dozen secrets to PostSecret; only one has ever been posted. I continue to send them in, because it’s better than therapy.
7. My sneezes are violent and frightening to young children and pets. They are also the next best thing to an orgasm.
8. I love bananas, but hate banana-flavored things, like candy and popsicles.
9. I strongly believe white chocolate should be banned. Or at least renamed.
10. I’m super judgmental when it comes to the names people choose for their children.
11. I watch Star Trek every day. Every. Day.
Questions from Childless in Paris
Do you like travelling? Best trip?
Honestly, I’m not a big fan of travelling. I have a long list of places I would love to visit, and I love getting away from home now and then, but I don’t enjoy the act of travelling. I hate sitting for too long in a car, plane, or train. I hate airports and all the waiting and lugging around of personal belongings. Once I get to my destination, however, I love being someplace new and/or different. (I can’t wait for someone to invent the transporter from Star Trek.) The best trip I ever took was to Washington, D.C. when I was 14. It was my first plane ride, and the first time I discovered that museums are fucking awesome places.
Favourite sport (to practice)?
Sports and me, we don’t get along. I’m uncoordinated, uncompetitive, and prone to injury.
What is something you are very proud of?
My masters degree. I’m the first in my family to get one.
What would you do if you won the lottery?
All kinds of boring things. If I won hundreds of millions, I would pay off all my debt (and that of my sisters and mom), buy a house, quit my job, hire a chef and personal trainer, set up college funds for my future kids, figure out how much I would need to invest in order to live comfortably off the income for the rest of my life, and give the rest to the local community foundation.
What is something you’d like to do but you never get around to (e.g. learn a language, or how to play an instrument)?
Learn to play guitar. I took lessons for a while, but never had the time to practice.
What book you have read would you recommend?
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. Immediately after reading it, I made arrangements to donate my body to a local medical school upon my death.
If you could talk to someone famous, who would you pick? And what would you like to discuss?
Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard from Star Trek: TNG). I wouldn’t care what we talked about, as long as he does all the talking.
Sushi and Star Trek.
What’s the best thing you’ve been told/the best advice you got during your infertility journey?
My therapist helped me to see that it’s important to come to terms with the fact that I may never have a baby. Accepting that my journey may end without a child in my arms is not the same as giving up.
What makes you feel better in moments of panic or sadness?
Writing about it usually helps me sort out my feelings. Sometimes I don’t even have to physically write. Sometimes it’s enough to just compose in my head.
Do you sing in the shower? Favourite shower song?
Not in the shower, but I love to belt out a tune in the car (even though I sound like a distressed gorilla). My favorite is I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’ by Scissor Sisters. I dare you not to dance in your seat!
Note: I tried to pick those blogs not previously nominated. If you’ve already done a Liebster post, do not feel obligated accept my “nomination.” (In fact, please don’t feel obligated, even if you haven’t been previously nominated.)
Questions for my Nominees
1. What is your guilty pleasure TV show and/or movie?
2. Your worst habit?
3. What do you dream about most often?
4. Would you rather lose all your memories or never be able to make a new memory?
5. What was the best job you’ve ever had and why?
6. What can’t you live without?
7. What’s the kindest thing anyone has ever done for you?
8. If you could have one “do over” in life, what would it be?
9. How would you describe your home?
10. What is something new that you recently learned?
11. What is one good thing that happened in your life today?